New: CAP Tulsa CareerAdvance Impact Analysis
What are the Effects of Pairing Head Start Services for Children with Career Pathway Training for Parents?
- CareerAdvance®, developed and run by the Community Action Project of Tulsa County (CAP Tulsa), is a model two-generation intervention that pairs early childhood education for children with career pathway training in the health care sector for parents.
- CareerAdvance® recruits parents from high quality Head Start centers and offers career ladders through certification programs in the healthcare field at no cost to families. Additional elements include career coaching, small peer learning groups, financial incentives for parents’ educational progress, and wraparound early care and education for children.
- This represents the first study of this type of two-generation program and is the beginning of a series of evaluations of CareerAdvance®’s effects on parents and children.
- We are also studying a scaled-up, less expensive version of the CareerAdvance® model. More time is needed to conduct cost-benefit analyses and measure longer-term gains.
- CareerAdvance® promotes parents’ career certificate attainment, employment in the healthcare sector, and overall well-being. CareerAdvance® also improves children’s Head Start attendance and reduces chronic absenteeism.
- This study provides strong evidence that pairing high-quality Head Start services with job training for parents produces positive outcomes for parents and children beyond the benefits of Head Start alone.
Download the summary of the findings here.