The 2012- 2013 Ascend Fellows
In February 2012, Ascend announced the inaugural class of Ascend Fellows — a dynamic cohort of cross-sector leaders who are committed to advancing the educational success and economic security of parents and children together by translating groundbreaking thinking into action. The invitation-only fellowship is designed to increase the impact of the fellows work, strengthen their leadership capacity and networks, and fuel their passion.
Ascend Fellows are powerful influencers, innovators, and instigators in the field and are active in the conversations, programs, policies, and research that move families toward educational success and economic security. Fellows must meet the following baseline criteria:
- Respected leader in the field of education, economic security, and/or social capital development;
- Access to, and broad reach within, an existing system or potential dissemination network;
- Ability to mobilize a network, community, institution(s), or other base;
- Track record of, or interest in, adopting a two-generation approach;
- Commitment to low-income parents, especially women, and children;
- Leadership and work that is poised for a “quantum leap” forward;
- Passion and discipline to work across silos, networks, and partners;
- Strong communication skills and eager to be promoted and positioned;
- Entrepreneurial drive to finding solutions, and;
- Commitment to gender and racial equity.
Ascend Fellows are core partners and leaders with Ascend at The Aspen Institute and participate in four customized leadership forums. Fellows receive a $10,000 scholarship to support learning and participation in the program. In addition, fellows have priority eligibility for grants from the Ascend Innovation Fund, which will support the work of fellows in developing, piloting, and expanding two-generation approaches.
The 18-month fellowship provides a space for innovation and collaboration and will increase the impact of the fellows’ work; strengthen their leadership capacity and networks; fuel their passion; and, most importantly, inspire action.
Hear more about the Ascend Fellowship in Fellows' own words: