Toxic! Stress, Health, ACEs Webinar Ascend at the Aspen Institute and Ascend Network Partners Katie Albright (San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center); Jeannette Pai-Espinosa (The National Crittenton Foundation); and Jason Gortney (The Children's Home Society of Washington State) in this important two-gen conversation.Learn more
Gateways to Two Generations
Ascend at the Aspen Institute Releases New Report
Gateways to Two Generations: The Potential for Early Childhood Programs and Partnerships to Support Children and Parents Together
In the 50 years since the War on Poverty was launched, we have learned a great deal about how to help families succeed. We have learned that a child’s success depends as much on her own opportunities as it does her parents’ opportunities. We have learned that by providing educational pathways for two generations — children and their parents together — we can harness the family’s full potential.
In this report, we:
- highlight how leading early childhood programs are supporting families’ educational success and economic security;
- document the evolution of early childhood efforts and support for parents; and
- emphasize the importance of partnerships for two-generation approaches.
The models and approaches outlined here stem from Ascend's ongoing series of discussions and convenings around early childhood and two-generation approaches. They also take into account the perspectives and resilience of families.
Friday, January 31st from 12:00 - 1:30 pm ET:
Ascend hosted a briefing on the report, featuring:
- Brigid Schulte, Staff Writer, The Washington Post (moderator)
- Steven Dow, Executive Director of CAP Tulsa;
- Susan Gewirtz, Senior Associate, Annie E. Casey Foundation;
- Dr. Joan Lombardi, former Health and Human Services Deputy Assistant Secretary;
- Rick Noriega, President and CEO of AVANCE; and
- Anne Mosle, Vice President, the Aspen Institute, and Executive Director, Ascend at the Aspen Institute.
It was a great discussion. If you missed it, you can check out the Gateways to Two Generations video here.